The historical and beautiful deep fjord was created by the ice age glaciers. In Hvalfjordur fjord (e. Whalefjord) we’re paddling in the North Atlantic Ocean, in the fjord where the allied troops hid their submarines and battle ships during WWII. We often see flocks of seabirds and curious wildlife while paddling. The kayaks are stable and easy to use and we only go in small groups, never more than 6 kayaks per guide. Our guides are BCU 4 star certificate guides and will teach you the technique on location. There’s no prior kayaking experience needed.
Departure: From from 15 May – 30 September
Duration: approx. 4 hours / 6 hours with pick up in Reykjavik
Included: Sea kayaking gear, incl. a sea kayak, paddle, life-vest, splash jacket, and footwear. 4-star BCU certified sea kayaking guide
Bring & wear: warm undergarment clothing, warm socks and sweater (wool or fleece – NO cotton!) that you don’t mind getting wet (just in case) and change of clothing.
Guide ratio: 6 kayaks per guide
Minimum age: 14 years
Pick up*: Starts at 09:00 at all major hotels and guesthouse in downtown Reykjavik
Meet on location: At Bjarteyjarsandur farm in Hvalfjörður, at 10:30
– Small group experience. We recommend you book in advance due to limited capacity.
– Sea kayaking on open water is very weather dependent. We might have to use another location to minimize cancellation due to weather and wave forecast.
– With your safety in mind we reserve the right to cancel or change the tour at any point.
– You have to be comfortable with floating in water. We recommend that you can swim, although you don’t need to “swim” while sea kayaking.
* Chauffeur service/transport available from ION Adventure hotel for additional fee