Located on the rift between Eurasian and N-American tectonic plates, in the heart of Þingvellir National park (a UNESCO World Heritage site) you will find one of the world’s best-kept underwater secrets.
Before we plunge into Silfra fissure the diving instructor will give a detailed briefing of the most important aspects of dry suit diving and the dive site. In the crystal-clear waters, filtered over decades by Iceland’s volcanic basaltic rock, the visibility is only limited by the density of the water itself.
Included are two dives and will each dive take about 30-40 minutes. Maximum allowed diving depth, by park regulation, is 18 meters. Depth in the fissure varies from 10-40 meters. On the dive four main parts of Silfra are explored with a finish in the endless visibility of Silfra Lagoon.
Being an otherworldly scene Silfra fissure is frequently rated as one of the world’s top ten diving sites.
Total duration: approx. 4-5 hours / approx. 6-7 hours with pick up
Included: Certified PADi® Divemaster. All dive equipment; dry-suit, mask, fins, thermal undersuit, tanks, weights, regulator and second stage, all specially designed for the cold water. Silfra admission fee.
Requirements: PADI open water or equivalent certificate, a dry-suit diving certification or at least 10 logged dry-suit dives with in the last two years, 18 years of age, physically fit and able to communicate in English. Recommended minimum height/weight is 155 cm/50 kg. Pregnant women are not able to dive.
Bring/wear: Your PADI certificate (or equivalent) dry-suit certification or log book with 10 logged drysuit dives within the last two years, warm undergarments (fleece/wool), warm woolen socks and a change of clothing. You cannot wear glasses underneath the goggles. If needed, wear eye lenses or bring your own goggles with prescription
Minimum age: 18 years
Pick up in Reykjavik: Starts at 90 minutes before departure. Please note it can take up to 30 min for us to arrive – be ready on time
Pick up at ION Adventure hotel: Available upon request
Meet on location: 15 minutes prior to departure at Silfra car park, parking Þingvellir P5
If you’re not PADI or dry-suit certified we recommend the snorkeling tour
– This is a challenging dive where you need to be able capable of carrying heavy equipment up to 400m.
– All divers must fill out a MEDICAL FORM before going on the tour. If you mark YES on any of the questions in section 1 then you will not be able to participate. If you are over 60 years old, or mark “YES”, on any of the questions in section 2 you will need to get this approval form filled out be your Physician.
– In the winter, if the temperature goes below -0°C there is a possibility that we will only do one dive for safety reasons.
– It is strongly advised to wait 24hrs after diving to fly.
– Þingvellir national park charged small fee for parking
– Chauffeur service/transport available from ION Adventure hotel for additional cost.